Our Lady of Perpetual Sleepiness

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Clumsiness is a virtue?

I've been on a frugality kick, partially by choice. Mostly because my salary is so low, it is called a "stipend." The lifestyle changes that I have made mainly consist of me not buying things besides food or gas (though the Christmas season will change that) and eating out MUCH less. I eat out about twice a week. Anway, I enjoy cooking, so this wasn't really a big deal.

Until I became a casualty of the kitchen last night.

I was making an ad-hoc chicken pot pie, since we haven't gone grocery shopping in about two weeks. Seriously, we had a desicated squash, one carrot, five pounds of potatoes, some parmesan cheese, and frozen chicken breasts. I didn't want to go to the store yet, so I made do, no worries. Like Tim Gunn says, I made it work.

While setting aside the broth from the pan that I poached the chicken in, SOMETHING happened. I still quite can't figure what. Anyway, the bowl I was pouring from shattered and all I could process was "hot liquid, get away!" So I stepped back and slipped in the pool of chicken broth, landing on shards of bowl. I twisted my right ankle, bruised my left shoulder, and cut my hands up from the bowl.

It was a pretty hard fall, so now I'm still all achy. We ended up going to Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Free chicken sandwich with the purchase of any combo? Heck yes, that is still frugality at work.

The pot pie came out really nice, so at least I have dinner made for tonight. After which I will make a trip to the grocery store.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

This is one of the reasons I adore you, you clumsy girl. ^_^

7:11 PM  
Blogger Agnosiac said...

Frugal eating: I am nominally on what is called the "Zone diet," which, simply put, requies that you eat protein, carbs, and fats in fixed proportions for each meal. You can eat practically whatever you want, provided you are doing the proportions right. An example of a smaller meal might be an apple, a can of tuna, and a handful of almonds.

I don't actually know if this is frugal, per se, since I am on the diet as part of my Crossfit regimen, so in the interest of gaining mass, I eat do MANY meals that I cancel out any advantage I would have gained from eating only
-sliced turkey breast
-canned tuna
-apples
-dates
-kiwis
-cashews
-almonds
-milk
-sliced cheese
-no cooking, no time for it

I suppose a normal person wouldn't be buying 3 jugs of milk and 4 pounds of turkey a week just for themselves.

You glassware probably exploded due to heat shock, something I have done several times in chemistry labs when you take a peice of hot glassware and douse it with something cold, or someting cold and pour boiling liquid in it. I'm probably being the jackass who points out what someone did wrong instead of commisurating, so um, sorry.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Agnosiac said...

PS: "craig" is "matt freeman" and I am terrified about why it knew i was "craig" when i have NEVER BEEN TO THIS WEBSITE BEFORE AND DIDNT ENTER A NAME

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home